2018 Formula 1 Azerbaijan GP results in pictures
Formula 1 Azerbaijan GP is the most unpredictable race. Perhaps, the case in a narrow road, or in too confusing trajectory. Even in Mercedes AMG F1 Team dominance years Sergio Perez had been visited the podium (2016). Lance Stroll had been at the podium in 2017.
It means that winners were not favorites. Maybe, because of too sharp corners or to much thinner trajectory. One way or another, Baku GP has been proving that this is a special race track for 3 years.
2018 Formula 1 Azerbaijan GP Qualification
F1 Qualification main events
- Baku GP was moved to spring in 2018, so the atmosphere was more cooler. Weather conditions played not last role.
- The wind made F1 drivers difficult working. A strong wind prevented Kimi Raikkonen from F1 's qualification winning. He showed the best time in two sectors in a last attempt, but in the last turn, the car was pulled to the side by the wind, Finn lost one and a half seconds, only the sixth place.
- A lot depended on the tires at Formula 1 Azerbaijan GP, because the is a smooth and slippery asphalt. Pirelli brought more softer tires than in previous years. There were Soft, SuperSoft and UltraSoft.
- The most softest had marked advantage in speed, but on distance so quickly degraded. Ferrari, Mercedes and Red Bull drivers chosen Supersoft. The five racers hadn't problems, but Kimi Raikkonen made a mistake.
- Romain Grosjean and Brendon Hartley couldn't drive a quick lap in qualifying, but allowed to start by stewards decision.
2018 Azerbaijan GP race
F1 Baku race main events
- All Formula 1 drivers chose different strategies and tires: Raikkonen, Ocon, Perez, Sainz, Charles Leclerc started on UltraSoft, Hartley and Grosjean - Soft, the others – SuperSoft.
- Sirotkin's car crashed in Perez on the second turn; no serious consequences. Then he was clamped between the Hulkenberg' and Alonso's cars.
- Vettel was driving away from Hamilton very quckly.
- Raikkonen took the parabolic without serious consequences.
- Both Red Bull Racing cars had problems with ERS-and they lost speed. Sainz ahead of Verstappen (9th.lap), and Hulkenberg – Riccardo. Hulkenberg ahead of Verstappen (10th. lap).
- D. Riccardo attacked Verstappen for a several times, cars touched, but continued to move, keeping the positions by.
- D. Riccardo attacked Verstappen, the car collided, both drivers dropped out of the fight (40th. lap).
- Grosjean hit a wall under a safety car (43th. lap). He warmed tires – and broke the car.
- Race leader V. Bottas' rear right wheel exploded after hitting the wreckage.
- All top three drivers achieved the best result in the F1 season.
- We had new constructors ' championship leader - Scuderia Ferrari.
- Charles Leclerc finished by 6th.. This is the best Sauber Team's achievement since 2015 Russian F1 Grand Prix.
The fastest in Baku GP race was Valtteri Bottas.